So My Friends Are All Going Back To University…

Monday, September 07, 2015

Out of my friendship group of 10, only 3 of us have finished and graduated from university. All 10 of us have started university but due to varying reasons from taking time off, doing a longer course, or doing a masters course, all but three of us have got more studying time.

I am of course one of the ones who has finished. I wouldn’t be writing this post if that were not the case. During the summer I took my final exams (only two because I hate exams) and graduated my three year degree with a 2:1 in Archaeology and Anthropology from the University of Kent.

university work desk
Photo by Luis Llerena
Now half of me is super excited to have graduated, and really glad not to have to move away from home again. I am also really glad to no longer have the write essays or take exams because whilst I love learning, I really dislike being tested on my knowledge. Of course I know why we are tested, but sometimes it’s nice to just take in information without having to prove you understand.

The other half of me is absolutely flipping petrified about having left the security of education. I’ve spent the last 16 years straight in some form of organised education and leaving that is kind of terrifying. I don’t know what I want to do with my new found freedom, or what kind of job I want, or even how I want to spend the rest of my life. And that’s scary.

Partly because most of my friends have still got more time to spend on that discovery. They still have at least a year to decide what they want to do once they graduate and move onto the next stage of their lives. And I know that some of them have already decided, and some of them have no clue, and that’s okay.

I’m also scared because I know I’ll miss them whilst they’re gone. I’ll have a great 3 months here with my friends who are staying and I’ll get stuck into other parts of my life, like learning to drive and writing the blog and redecorating my house. But it will be nice to see them when they come back in December. 

Photo overlooking Cathedral from the University of Kent campus
Photo by the University of Kent

Besides all that, I know that I will be okay. Regardless of whether I decide what I want to do in a month or in 6 months or even a year I will be able to make a decision and start my life on a pathway that will lead me to happiness.

Starting this blog has been a good step forward as this is something I’ve wanted to do for a while, and it’s taken the fear of having nothing to do to make me realise that it’s not worth waiting for the perfect moment. It’s far better to get stuck in and just work hard, than sit and wait for perfection.

So that’s my conclusion from all my friends going back to university. 

Let me know what you think in the comments,
Beci x

You Might Also Like

0 happy thoughts